Coconut oil has been handed down by people with great effects. So what are the real benefits of coconut oil? How to use it properly and effectively. Read the article below!
1. What is coconut oil?
Before learning about the effects of coconut oil, you know its characteristics. Coconut oil is a product obtained from copra, which is dark yellow, light yellow or sometimes transparent depending on the method of processing and handling. In the composition of coconut oil contains many nutrients such as: vitamins A, D, E, potassium, calcium, ..omega 3, saturated fatty acids and a number of trace elements, easily absorbed minerals. Coconut oil is usually liquid, but if the temperature is below 25 degrees Celsius, it is easy to coagulate and become a solid. There are two types of coconut oil, pure cooked and cold pressed.
How to recognize virgin coconut oil?
To see if coconut oil is contaminated with impurities, put the product in the refrigerator compartment. After about 30 minutes to 1 hour, if the bottle of coconut oil has solidified, this is pure coconut oil. If it is only partially frozen, it is likely that this product contains many impurities. In addition, you can also identify through the smell of coconut oil. If it is a pure product, it will have a light aroma like coconut candy. In case there is a different smell, it is likely that it has been mixed with flavorings, preservatives, … Then, consider before using to ensure safety.
2. The amazing benefits of coconut oil
Improve health, improve physique
Health support is one of the most popular uses of coconut oil . Using coconut oil to replace oils, animal fats, butter, … will be very good for the digestive system, improving the working function of the large intestine. Pregnant women using coconut oil will help the fetus develop well in terms of resistance and intelligence, prevent osteoporosis, improve sleep and reduce stress and fatigue.
Another great effect of coconut oil is weight loss and slimmer body. Coconut oil contains many fatty acids that increase metabolism, and provide less energy than other oils, so it is suitable for people who want to lose weight. Massage with coconut oil in areas with a lot of accumulated fat such as hips, waist, thighs, calves, … will stimulate blood circulation, generate heat to burn excess fat more effectively.
Make hair beautiful, shiny
Moisturizing: Coconut oil provides the necessary moisture for hair to maintain its strength and shine. Forms a protective film to protect hair from external influences such as sunlight, wind, dust, pollution,…
– Repair damage: This isthe effect of coconut oilthat people who are having a headache with broken hair cannot ignore. The composition of coconut oil has a rich content of vitamin E, vitamin A and many other nutrients that will penetrate deeply into each hair strand to restore damage. It also provides nutrients to nourish hair from deep within. Thereby helping to restore strength, elasticity as well as stimulate hair follicle cells to grow thicker and longer. In particular, because it is completely natural, coconut oil is very safe, suitable for many types of hair, including weak hair, thin hair, severely damaged hair, …
– Clean dandruff: Coconut oil contains Lauric Acid and Citric Acid with high antibacterial ability, which helps prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi on the scalp effectively. Besides, it also removes dirt, dead scalp to clean dandruff, reduce unpleasant symptoms such as itching, flaking scalp.
Helps whiten, smooth and youthful skin
Right from the old days, our ancestors knew the effect of coconut oil on the skin and considered it as a “panacea” to maintain youth. As follows:
– Moisturizes the skin: As analyzed, coconut oil has a very good moisturizing ability, not only for the hair but also for the skin. Applying coconut oil every day will help reduce dry, cracked skin due to lack of moisture, especially in cold weather days. At the same time, it protects the skin from external factors such as sunlight, dirt, pollution, …
– Fades dark spots, melasma, freckles: Thanks to its high content of antioxidants, coconut oil has the ability to inhibit the activity of free radicals and melanin – the leading cause of dark spots and pigmentation. , freckles on the skin. At the same time, it stimulates the production of natural collagen and elastin to even out skin tone, giving the skin a visible glow.
– Remove dirt, dead cells: Removing makeup is alsothe effect of coconut oilthat is loved by many women. You just need to use a cotton pad to absorb a sufficient amount of coconut oil and then gently remove makeup to neatly and comprehensively clean makeup, dust, sebum and dead cells clinging to the skin.
In addition, coconut oil is also used as a balm to help soft lips, not chapped, peeling, especially in the cold season, dry weather.
Supporting the treatment of diseases is the effect of coconut oil that you cannot ignore. With a high content of antioxidants, coconut oil helps strengthen the immune system, inhibiting the activity of free radicals – the main cause of cancers such as breast cancer, skin cancer or cancer colon. This product also reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the blood to improve the cardiovascular system, prevent diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, … In addition, coconut oil is also used. to treat foot fungus, psoriasis, sore throat and some other skin diseases.
Some beauty tips from coconut oil
Among the benefits of coconut oil , beauty is the one that most people are interested in. Here are some simple, easy, and highly effective home remedies for beauty care with coconut oil that you can refer to:
– Body care: After bathing, take a small amount of coconut oil, apply evenly to the entire body, gently massage and then rinse with clean water. Regular use will make the skin soft, white, and youthful.
– Exfoliating: Mix coconut oil with sea salt or sugar to form a paste and then apply evenly on the face, combining gentle massage. Then rinse with warm water to help remove dirt, dead cells on the face. It also fades dark spots to brighten skin and unclog pores.
– Whiten teeth: Before brushing your teeth, rinse your mouth with coconut oil for about 5 minutes every morning. This will help remove odor-causing bacteria and plaque on the teeth, for whiter teeth and fresh breath.
– Hair care: After shampooing, use a little coconut oil, apply evenly from the roots to the ends and incubate for about 15 minutes. Then rinse with clean water.
– Lengthen eyelashes and prevent dark circles: Before sleeping, apply a thin layer of coconut oil to the skin around the eyes. Besides, use a cotton swab to dip a little coconut oil and then brush evenly from the root to the tip of the eyelashes.
3. Is it good to use coconut oil a lot? How much is enough?
Coconut oil has a higher percentage of saturated fat than animal fats. Therefore, if you eat too much coconut oil can lead to atherosclerosis.
Therefore, the World Health Organization (WHO), the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and many other countries (UK, Canada…) all recommend not to use a lot of coconut oil in the diet. eat everyday.
Moreover, for people with problems with metabolic disorders (diabetes, hypertension, atherosclerosis, overweight and obesity, etc.), the use of products high in saturated fatty acids such as coconut oil It also increases the risk of dyslipidemia.
For people with sensitive skin, the improper use of coconut oil and especially of unknown origin can cause skin irritation, acne, itching, hives…